Yes! Give me a pizza hot dog any day and I’m a happy guy! Great sauce and ooey-gooey cheese with a little basil. What is there not to like? I approach these dogs exactly like I would a pizza crust. I can put the same toppings on my hot dog as I can on my pizza. Onions, mushrooms, pepperoncinis, it doesn’t matter what!
I make a big batch of marinara sauce in our slow cooker and keep some on hand in the freezer for easy meals like these hot dogs. Just warm the sauce a bit and spoon it over a cooked dog. This is also a great way to use up those last few tablespoons of jarred pizza sauce that we always end up with.
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Also try my salsa dogs.
Pizza Hot Dogs
- 2 hot dogs or substitute halved Italian sausages for even more pizza flavor
- 2 hot dog buns
- ¼ cup marinara sauce I used our slow cooker sauce
- 4 slices Mozzarella cheese
- pinch basil fresh, chopped, or substitute a bit of dried
- Cook dogs and warm buns as desired.
- Place dogs on buns and top with sauce and cheese.
- Place under broiler just long enough to start melting the cheese.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.