Yes! Give me a pizza hot dog any day and I’m a happy guy! Great sauce and ooey-gooey cheese with a little basil. What is there not to like? I approach these dogs exactly like I would a pizza crust. I can put the same toppings on my hot dog as I can on my pizza. Onions, mushrooms, pepperoncinis, it doesn’t matter what!
I make a big batch of marinara sauce in our slow cooker and keep some on hand in the freezer for easy meals like these hot dogs. Just warm the sauce a bit and spoon it over a cooked dog. This is also a great way to use up those last few tablespoons of jarred pizza sauce that we always end up with.
Also try my salsa dogs.
Pizza Hot Dogs
- 2 hot dogs or substitute halved Italian sausages for even more pizza flavor
- 2 hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce I used our slow cooker sauce
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- pinch basil fresh, chopped, or substitute a bit of dried
- Cook dogs and warm buns as desired.
- Place dogs on buns and top with sauce and cheese.
- Place under broiler just long enough to start melting the cheese.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.