This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I’m going to have a hard time ever eating any other kind of grilled cheese sandwich after devouring these mushroom grilled cheese sandwiches. They are incredible. Creamy, gooey cheese. And the best part, sauteed, earthy mushrooms. Absolutely fantastic.
It takes a bit of time to make these sandwiches. You can’t rush it since you want the onions to be soft and golden. Remember that you want the cheese to be melted and you just can’t rush that. Your efforts will be rewarded.
I like to cook these mushroom grilled cheese sandwiches on my Cuisinart Griddler. It does sandwiches like nobody’s business.
Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion sliced thin
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup white wine or chicken broth
- Kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 cup gruyere cheese shredded (shredded mozzarella or provolone are also great!)
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese grated
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoon butter softened
- Add the 1 tablespoon of butter and the oil to a large skillet over medium heat and heat until the butter has melted.
- Add the onion and saute until tender.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they start to caramelized and turn golden brown in color, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the wine or broth and deglaze the pan. Stir and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
- Let cool slightly then stir in the cheeses.
- Heat another large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread with the remaining butter and place two slices butter side down in the pan.
- Divide mushroom mixture between the two slices of bread and add remaining slice butter side up.
- Cook until bread is golden brown, then flip and cook on other side until golden brown and cheese mixture is nice and gooey.
- Remove. Let cool slightly before slicing then serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.