Grilled cheese sandwiches aren’t uncommon in our household, not at all. They’re easy and good and that’s all you can ask for. But, sometimes I just gotta mix things up. Not crazy mix things up, but crazy good mix things up. The filling in these crab grilled cheese sandwiches is just like a good crab salad. It just needs a little ‘help’, and that comes in the form of melted oooey gooey Swiss cheese on crispy golden bread. A nice crunch then creamy salad and cheese. Perfect.
The crab salad inside these crab grilled cheese sandwiches is actually quite good and simple. It’d also be perfect inside appetizer sandwiches. Ya know, the fancy ones they serve at teas.
I used my Cuisinart Griddler to make these sandwiches.
Crab Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- In a bowl combine the crab, mayonnaise, green onions, lemon zest and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat or turn a panini press on high.
- Slather one side of each piece of bread with butter.
- Lay two slices of bread-butter side down in the skillet or onto the panini press.
- Add a slice of cheese to each, then divide the crab mixture between them.
- Add remaining slice of cheese to each and top with other piece of bread, butter-side up.
- Fry until golden brown on the bottom then flip and fry on the other side until done, or close your press and cook until nice and golden brown.
- Remove from skillet or panini press and slice and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.