This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
My wife and I really enjoyed the flavors of this super-simple chicken Cordon Bleu casserole. Tender chicken with a bit of ham, crunchy breadcrumb topping, and of course that wonderful Dijon mustard flavor in a creamy cheesy sauce. This is the perfect quick and easy meal for a cool late-winter evening.
I prefer to butterfly chicken breasts in just about any recipe where I need them. They cook up more evenly, and a bit quicker. And I like the texture better. I like a big ole thick beef steak, but that’s about the only time I need my meat cut thick. For chicken, I think thinner is better.
If I’m feeling adventurous the next time I make this chicken Cordon Bleu casserole I might try a little twist or two. Pepper jack cheese instead of Swiss for a nice kick to the sauce, and a pinch or two of cayenne in with the breadcrumbs. Oh, this dish is great as it is, but I hardly ever pass up the opportunity to add some heat.
Also try my paprika chicken with sour cream gravy.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
For the casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer chicken in the bottom of the dish.
- Top the chicken with the ham sandwich meat and sprinkle with the Swiss cheese.
- In a bowl, combine the Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the Panko mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Drizzle with the melted butter and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is done and the Panko has started to brown. Place under the broiler for a minute or two to brown further if desired.
- Serve with sauce.
For the sauce
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and broth.
- Continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Whisk in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.