This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
My wife got me hooked on thick-cut bologna burgers and sandwiches. They are like the grown-up versions of the bologna sandwiches I had as a kid. I get the deli to cut chub bologna 1/2″ thick and then either fry, grill, or smoke it. Then I slather the bologna with Ross’ Pool Room sauce and serve it on buns topped with onion and pimento cheese. Yeah, that’s a Southern bologna burger right there!
Any pimento cheese will work on these southern bologna burgers. I didn’t go crazy making one of my more complicated versions. Simple is just fine. For a bit of a kick substitute pepper jack cheese for the Colby or add a minced seeded jalapeno pepper.
I recently discovered Blue Plate mayonnaise, which I think is the best around. If you can’t find it locally you can pick it up online for a fair price.
I highly recommend that you shred or grate your own cheese at home. Don’t buy the pre-shredded or pre-grated stuff. It has stuff added to it to keep it from sticking together. That ‘stuff’ affects how the cheese melts. Get the real stuff.
Southern Bologna Burgers
For the burgers
- 8 slices bologna thick-cut
- Ross’ Pool Room Bologna sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
For the burgers
- Make a 1″ cut in the bologna from and edge towards the center.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat or fire up a grill for direct cooking.
- Fry or grill the bologna, brushing with the sauce as it cooks. You want to get a light char on he bologna.
- Toast the buns if desired.
- Assemble the burgers by placing the bologna on the bun bottoms. Add the pimento cheese and bun top and serve.
For the pimento cheese topping
- Combine all ingredients.
Nutritional values are approximate.