I made a big batch of super-tasty roasted tomato soup the other day. I think it’s pretty much law that you must have a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of tomato soup. But, if you know me, I had to do things just a bit different. So, I decided to make pimento cheese. I’ve made pimento cheese grilled cheese sandwiches before, and I loved them, so to change things up I made pimento cheese bread sticks. I just took a great creamy pimento cheese mixture and spread it over toasted ciabatta bread. Under the broiler for a bit and then… fantasticness!
On the off-chance that you have some leftover pimento cheese spread, I cannot recommend enough just how great it can be on grilled burgers or hot dogs.
I highly recommend that you shred or grate your own cheese at home. Don’t buy the pre-shredded or pre-grated stuff. It has stuff added to it to keep it from sticking together. That ‘stuff’ affects how the cheese melts. Get the real stuff.
Also try my easy pimento cheese.
Pimento Cheese Spread
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup Asiago cheese grated
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces pimentos drained, reserve liquid
- 2 pinches dried red pepper flake optional
- Combine the cheddar, Asiago and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Empty the jar of pimentos into a small food processor and pulse a few times.
- Stir the pimentos into the cheese mixture. Add the pimento juice a little at a time, stirring. Add more juice until you get the consistency you desire.
- Stir in the red pepper flake, if using.
- Spread on crunchy bread.
Nutritional values are approximate.