Talk about just up-and-disappearing, these peel and eat grilled shrimp were so dang good they didn’t stick around long enough to even cool off. The spice mixture that coats the shrimp is spot-on, with hints of sweetness and a warm earthiness. Seems odd, perhaps, but they were fantastic. So fantastic that I made them two nights in a row.
My motto has always been: The messier the dish, the tastier it is. Well, maybe that’s part of why I loved these peel and eat grill shrimp so much. They are messy. Very messy. I tried them once with shell-on (but deveined) shrimp and once using peeled (but still tail-on) shrimp. Both were fantastic, but I preferred the shell-on shrimp. They’re messier. You get to peel them. And you get to lick your fingers even more it seems.
Also try my marinated grilled shrimp.
Peel and Eat Grilled Shrimp
- 1/4 cup paprika used smoked paprika if cooking indoors to add that 'just grilled' flavor
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds large shrimp 20-24 count, deveined, shell on if desired
- 1/2 cup green onion sliced thin
- Fire up your grill for high-heat direct cooking. You can use skewers, a grill pan, griddle or cook the shrimp directly on the grates. Alternatively, you can cook the shrimp in a large skillet on the stove top over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together the paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, garlic, vegetable oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the shrimp and use spatula to turn and coat well. I actually prefer to use my hands to make sure that the shrimp get fully coated, but the paprika does make your fingers turn red. It just dawned on my that food-safe gloves would've been a smart idea!
- Transfer the shrimp to the grill. Skewer first if using skewers. Make sure that the shrimp lay flat on the grill and do not overlap. If cooking indoors, add a splash of oil to the skillet before adding the shrimp, also keeping them in one layer. You might have to cook them in batches so they don't overlap.
- Cook for 2 minutes per side, flipping once.
- Transfer shrimp to a serving platter or bowl and toss with the green onion before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.