Quick fix turkey Reuben sandwiches changed my mind about what I used to refer to as ‘fake Reubens’. I had a thing against turkey Reubens. Once I ordered a ‘real’ Reuben in a restaurant and they accidentally brought me a turkey one instead. It was one of the worst days of my life. Or so I thought. Well, now I must apologize. I was wrong. I thought no way could a corned beef-less sandwich be anywhere as good as the classic. Well, this is a mighty good sandwich. And it’s crazy easy to make, too. That’s a lot of wins in this little sandwich. Now, I make them regularly.
I could eat my share of quick fix turkey Reuben sandwiches. And I’d even order one at a restaurant. Those would have roasted turkey, and if you have that on hand by all means put some on this sandwich. I used thin-sliced sandwich meat. Thick-sliced would work just as well. No matter what, it’s quick, easy and delicious!
For me, just personally, I am a firm believer that every Reuben must be served with a dill pickle spear. An ice cold one at that. With plenty of crunchy.
Also try my quick fix turkey Manhattan.
Quick Fix Turkey Reuben Sandwiches
- 4 slices rye bread
- ⅓ cup Thousand Island Dressing
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices turkey sandwich meat
- ½ cup sauerkraut rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Lay the bread slices on a cutting board. Divide the dressing between the slices and spread out evenly on one side of each.
- A Swiss cheese and turkey to two of the slices. Top with the kraut.
- Add top slices of bread to make sandwiches.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the butter on the tops of each sandwich.
- Transfer the sandwiches to the skillet, bread-side down (that is, flip the sandwich as you move it from the cutting board to the skillet).
- Spread remaining butter over the tops of the sandwiches as they cook.
- Once the bottoms are done (golden brown and crispy) and the cheese has started to melt, carefully flip the sandwiches. Cook another 3-5 minutes or until that side is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from skillet and place on cutting board. Cut each in half and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.