Paula Deen does crank out some good dishes, like these carrots au gratin. She has a lot of critics, but I’m not one of them. When I do watch cooking shows, I watch for the food. I try to ignore the fluff.
These carrots came out fantastically. It’s a nice twist on the traditional potatoes au gratin. I think we’ll put this on our to-make list for this year’s Thanksgiving.
Also try my fried carrots strips with Cajun mayonnaise dipping sauce.
Carrots Au Gratin
A great easy side dish that is a nice twist on traditional potatoes au gratin.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups carrots thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons green onion minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese we used Colby Jack
- 1 cup plain potato chips crushed
- Spray a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and green onion and saute for 6 minutes.
- Add the flour, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and stir until thickened, 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle top with the crushed chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and the chips are a little browned.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 364mg | Potassium: 593mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 14533IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 181mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.