My two biggest food obsessions? Chicken wings and fried shrimp. I could eat either one any time, any where. I’ve never had wings or shrimp that I didn’t absolutely love. Like these Cajun fried shrimp. Lightly crunchy. Stick-to-the-shrimp batter. A little heat. Perfectly cooked.
This is shrimp done up right. I served these Cajun fried shrimp with a crazy wonderful remoulade that has ended up being a shrimp-dipping staple in our house. It’s great for fries fish, too.
For that little extra ‘something’ sprinkle the shrimp lightly with Old Bay seasoning just before serving.
Cajun Fried Shrimp
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- Spicy Remoulade Sauce recipe follows
- Heat 3-4" of oil to 350 F in a deep fryer or Dutch oven.
- In a pie plate or shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and mustard.
- In another pie plate or shallow dish, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, paprika, salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
- Working in batches, add the shrimp to the flour mixture and coat well.
- Shake off excess then place into the buttermilk mixture.
- Shake off excess then return to the flour mixture, coating again.
- Add to the hot oil and fry 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve with the spicy remoulade sauce.
For the Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.