This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I can eat an embarrassing amount of crispy fried shrimp. My addiction to these little goodies started as a child. Maybe once every few months we would eat out at Sizzler. I would always get the fried shrimp. I would devour them.
That tradition lives on, believe me. That’s why I make them at home. In bigger batches. These crispy fried shrimp are nice and crispy and have a fantastic lightly savory flavor. No overpowering flavors here, you can still taste the wonderful shrimp.
I like to use shrimp that aren’t too big or too small when I make crispy fried shrimp. For me, 21-25 count (that means 21-25 shrimp are in a pound) are the perfect size. If I can get them, I use Louisiana Gulf Shrimp. I believe they have the best flavor but you can use whatever you prefer (or can find).
You can use pre-shelled and pre-deveined shrimp but give them a once-over before using to make sure that there aren’t any shell pieces or veins left. Just in case.
Crispy Fried Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp medium sized, 21-25 count, unshelled, raw
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs substitute Panko bread crumbs for even more crunch
- 3 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley crushed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Remove the shells from the shrimp up to the tail section. Make an incision down the back and remove the vein. Rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl or pie plate combine the egg and milk.
- Place the flour in another large bowl or pie plate.
- And in another large bowl or pie plate place the bread crumbs, salt, basil, parsley, garlic and onion powders.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or deep fryer to 350 F.
- Working in batches, coat the shrimp in the egg mixture. Shake off excess and then roll in flour.
- Return shrimp to the egg mixture and coat again. Shake off excess and then roll in the bread crumb mixture, coating well.
- Transfer to hot oil and fry until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to let drain before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.