I can eat an embarrassing amount of crispy fried shrimp. My addiction to these little goodies started as a child. Maybe once every few months we would eat out at Sizzler. I would always get the fried shrimp. I would devour them.
That tradition lives on, believe me. That’s why I make them at home. In bigger batches. These crispy fried shrimp are nice and crispy and have a fantastic lightly savory flavor. No overpowering flavors here, you can still taste the wonderful shrimp.
I like to use shrimp that aren’t too big or too small when I make crispy fried shrimp. For me, 21-25 count (that means 21-25 shrimp are in a pound) are the perfect size. If I can get them, I use Louisiana Gulf Shrimp. I believe they have the best flavor but you can use whatever you prefer (or can find).
You can use pre-shelled and pre-deveined shrimp but give them a once-over before using to make sure that there aren’t any shell pieces or veins left. Just in case.
If you’re looking for something super-simple for dipping your delicious crispy fried shrimp, try my quick cocktail sauce or my Carolina cocktail sauce.
Also try my Cajun fried shrimp and my panko fried shrimp.
Crispy Fried Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp medium sized, 21-25 count, unshelled, raw
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs substitute Panko bread crumbs for even more crunch
- 3 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley crushed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Remove the shells from the shrimp up to the tail section. Make an incision down the back and remove the vein. Rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl or pie plate combine the egg and milk.
- Place the flour in another large bowl or pie plate.
- And in another large bowl or pie plate place the bread crumbs, salt, basil, parsley, garlic and onion powders.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or deep fryer to 350 F.
- Working in batches, coat the shrimp in the egg mixture. Shake off excess and then roll in flour.
- Return shrimp to the egg mixture and coat again. Shake off excess and then roll in the bread crumb mixture, coating well.
- Transfer to hot oil and fry until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to let drain before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.