This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
My two biggest food obsessions? Chicken wings and fried shrimp. I could eat either one any time, any where. I’ve never had wings or shrimp that I didn’t absolutely love. Like these Cajun fried shrimp. Lightly crunchy. Stick-to-the-shrimp batter. A little heat. Perfectly cooked. Crazy tasty. And you know, they’re great looking too! You do eat with your eyes first, or so they say! I kinda think I eat with my nose first. I smell the aroma of the food often long before I see it! That’s what gets my mouth watering.
This is shrimp done up right. I served these Cajun fried shrimp with a crazy wonderful remoulade that has ended up being a shrimp-dipping staple in our house. It’s great for fries fish, too.
For that little extra ‘something’ sprinkle the shrimp lightly with Old Bay seasoning just before serving.
If I’m cooking for a crowd, I’ll break out my big deep fryer. But, if it’s just the two of us, I’ll fire up my Fry Daddy fryer. It’s the perfect size for both of us. It fries everything perfectly. And as an added bonus, it doesn’t use a lot of oil, which saves me money.
Cajun Fried Shrimp
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- Spicy Remoulade Sauce recipe follows
- Heat 3-4" of oil to 350 F in a deep fryer or Dutch oven.
- In a pie plate or shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and mustard.
- In another pie plate or shallow dish, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, paprika, salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
- Working in batches, add the shrimp to the flour mixture and coat well.
- Shake off excess then place into the buttermilk mixture.
- Shake off excess then return to the flour mixture, coating again.
- Add to the hot oil and fry 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve with the spicy remoulade sauce.
For the Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.