I’ll put just about anything on a hot dog. As long as it’s good. But this Home Run hot dog chili? It’s not just good. No, it’s totally amazing. It’s like the most unbelievable meat sauce I’ve ever had or made. You’ll think you’re at the ballpark for sure, and you’ll be wanting more as soon as you take that first bite. Just make sure that you have extra napkins, because things are about to get (good and) messy!
No matter what else you want to put on your dogs, you have to start with this first. Not only does Home Run hot dog chili taste great, but it is also (very importantly) the perfect consistency. You don’t want it too thick. You definitely don’t want it too thin. This is spot-on right what it should be. No big meaty chunks to bite into. Perfect!
I like to put chopped onions on my hot dogs. I soak them in cold water for a little bit before I put them on there to take a bit of the bite out of them.
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Home Run Hot Dog Chili
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- Brown the ground beef in a Dutch oven or pot. Drain.
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture just until the largest pieces of meat are blended. Do not over blend. You can also transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse until the chunks are gone.
- Serve warm over hot dogs.
Nutritional values are approximate.