For some reason I’ve been hankering for a bowl of roasted peanuts. They’re perfect to have on hand when watching TV or a movie. I prefer snacks with a little kick. These chipotle honey roasted peanuts hit the spot. You get a little smokiness from the chipotle, a little heat from the chili powder, and a little sweet from the honey.
I bought a few big bags of unshelled, raw peanuts. Anita and sit out on the deck in the evening and shell them. A pound-and-a-half bag of raw in-shell nuts produces about a pound of shelled nuts.
When you first take these nuts out of the oven they won’t quite be crispy. Let them cool completely before serving and they will crisp up just fine.
Also try my southern spicy roasted peanuts and my honey barbecue roasted nuts.
Chipotle Honey Roasted Peanuts
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound raw peanuts shelled
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Lightly spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine the sugar, chipotle chile powder, chili powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the honey and salt and stir. Bring to a bubble, making sure the salt is dissolved and the honey is melted.
- Add the nuts and stir well to coat.
- Pour nut mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the nuts are golden brown, stopping to stir the mixture every 10 minutes.
- Remove nuts to a large metal bowl. Sprinkle with the sugar mixture and stir.
- Let nuts cool, stirring occasionally. Serve cooled.
Nutritional values are approximate.