We recently grabbed a quick lunch at the Applebee’s in Springfield, Ohio, meeting up with some old friends before heading over to one of our favorite places, the Heart of Ohio Antique Center. We knew we could rely on Applebee’s for good food and a nice environment to sit and chat for a bit. I decided to have an appetizer, so I ordered the Sriracha shrimp. As soon as I bit into one I knew I was going to make a copycat Applebee’s Sriracha shrimp when I got home.
Lightly battered shrimp, lightly fried, then tossed in a great Sriracha mayonnaise sauce. This is exactly as I remember except I left the Sriracha sauce on the side for dipping.
The nice thing about keeping the sauce on the side is that these copycat Applebee’s Sriracha shrimp stay nice and lightly crunchy, instead of getting a bit soggy when covered in the sauce. You can serve it whichever way you like, of course. I also used larger shrimp because… I love shrimp.
Copycat Applebee’s Sriracha Shrimp
For the shrimp
For the shrimp
- Preheat 1/2″ of oil in a Dutch oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
- Whisk in the club soda until smooth.
- Add the shrimp to the batter and coat well on all sides.
- Shake off excess batter and add to hot oil.
- Fry shrimp 3 minutes, then flip and fry another 2 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve with dipping sauce on the side.
For the Sriracha dipping sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients.
Nutritional values are approximate.