Four servings? Ok, maybe. You’ll think that before you taste this creamy cheddar soup. After that first taste you’ll be thinking… only one serving! And all mine! So creamy. So rich. And just the right amount of cheesiness! Not so thick that it’s a dip, not so thin that it’s a… uh.. er.. something thin! It’s the perfect lunchtime soup too since it takes nearly no time at all to make!
Now, this soup is perfect as it is. But I really like the little sprinkle of cayenne at the end. That little heat offsets the sweetness and creaminess of the soup just perfectly.
Also try my celery and cheddar, creamy pimento cheese and my to-die-for creamy cheese and tomato soups.
Creamy Cheddar Soup
Four servings? Ok, maybe. You’ll think that before you taste this creamy cheddar soup. After that first taste you’ll be thinking… only one serving! And all mine!
Servings 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 medium bell pepper seeded, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced, divided
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes or until just starting to soften.
- Add the chicken stock and cream. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Add the cheese and stir.
- Add 1/4 cup of the green onions, salt and pepper to taste, and the cayenne if using. Stir.
- Serve garnished with remaining green onions and a dash of cayenne if desired.
Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 149mg | Sodium: 353mg | Potassium: 358mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2613IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 243mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.