Oh my goodness. Just about every taste I love in one bowl. I could eat this green chile mac and cheese stew all day long. Spicy chorizo. Beefy broth. Tomatoes with chiles. Beans. All with a lot of kick. The perfect dish for a cold day.
Just about any cheeses can be used in this stew, but I kept the spicy theme going and topped it with a habanero jack cheese. There’s nothing wimpy about it. This dish has some serious kick to it.
For a nice twist, substitute a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes for the tomatoes with chiles.
Green Chile Mac and Cheese Stew
Oh my goodness. Just about every taste I love in one bowl. I could eat this green chile mac and cheese stew all day long.
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 10 ounce diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 1 16 ounce chili beans, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried red pepper flake or more
- 1/2 pound elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup green chile sauce I made my own, but you can use jarred or canned, or leave it out
- 8 ounces Mexican Velveeta cheese cubed
- Habanero Jack cheese shredded and cilantro, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Crumble the chorizo into a large pot over high heat. Cook until done.
- Add the onion. Cook until tender, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, and pepper flake.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta, stir and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 7-8 minutes or until the pasta is al denta.
- Add the green chile sauce and Velveeta. Cook until the cheese is completely melted, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with Habanero Jack cheese and chopped fresh cilantro.
Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 1323mg | Potassium: 295mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 879IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 188mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.