This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
Oh my goodness. There’s just about every taste I love in one bowl. I could eat this green chile mac and cheese stew all day long. Spicy Mexican chorizo. Beefy broth. Tomatoes with chiles. Beans. All with a lot of kick. This is not a wimpy savory bowl of stew here. Nope, it’s not for the faint of heart (or stomach). But it is the perfect dish for a cold day. It’s gonna warm you up for sure!
Just about any cheeses can be used in this green chile mac and cheese stew, but I kept the spicy theme going and topped it with a freshly shredded habanero jack cheese. There’s nothing wimpy about it. This dish has some serious kick in each every spoonful!
I like to use my good ole trusty Dutch oven to make this stew and pretty much darned near anything like it on my stovetop. It’s nice and big and sturdy. That extra weight helps it maintain and distribute heat perfectly. As an added bonus, it’s actually pretty easy to clean up too!
For a nice twist, substitute a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes for the tomatoes with chiles.
Also try some Chet’s Truckers stew.
Green Chile Mac and Cheese Stew
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 10 ounce diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 1 16 ounce chili beans, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon dried red pepper flake or more
- ½ pound elbow pasta
- ½ cup green chile sauce I made my own, but you can use jarred or canned, or leave it out
- 8 ounces Mexican Velveeta cheese cubed
- Habanero Jack cheese shredded and cilantro, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Crumble the chorizo into a large pot over high heat. Cook until done.
- Add the onion. Cook until tender, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, and pepper flake.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta, stir and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 7-8 minutes or until the pasta is al denta.
- Add the green chile sauce and Velveeta. Cook until the cheese is completely melted, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with Habanero Jack cheese and chopped fresh cilantro.
Nutritional values are approximate.