As much as I love making and devouring mashed potatoes with pot roast and gravy, I love grits even more. The creamy ground corn has more texture and more flavor. At least, in my opinion. Add some cheese (and a little bit of Ranch dressing mix) and well, these cheddar Ranch grits are the perfect tasting side dish and very, very easy to make.
You can substitute any good melting cheese you want to these cheddar Ranch grits. I like a nice sharp cheddar because I think it goes perfectly with the corn flavors and the Ranch dressing. I think Monterey jack would also work well in this dish. For some kick, go with pepperjack and add a few chopped roasted jalapenos.
Also try my roasted sweet corn grits.
Cheddar Ranch Grits
- Bring broth and salt to a boil in a medium pan over high heat.
- Slowly stir in the grits.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often. To prevent the grits from splattering you can place a lid over the top of the pan but do not cover it completely.
- Add the butter and stir to melt.
- Add the cheese and Ranch dressing mix and stir until the cheese is melted.
Nutritional values are approximate.