I’ve been a subscriber of Chile Pepper magazine (which sadly, no longer is being published) for years. I can always count on it for good articles, product reviews and recipes. Like this one from the June 2003 issue.
This coleslaw recipe comes from the Hard Eight BBQ joints in Texas. I’ve never been there, but if this slaw is any indication, they’ve got some good eats. Anita proclaimed this the best slaw I’ve ever made, which is saying a lot because I’ve made just about every variation of slaw you can imagine!
(This slaw is outstanding on a po’boy or on some grilled chicken thigh sliders!)
Also try my country coleslaw.
Hard Eight Coleslaw
Perfect on its own or on top of pulled pork sandwiches or grilled sausage po’boys!
Servings 8 -12
- 2 pounds cabbage shredded or sliced thin
- 8 ounces pimientos drained, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil I used olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups green bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded, minced (optional)
- 1 cup sugar I used Splenda
- Combine all ingredients.
- Let set at least 15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 898mg | Potassium: 311mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 1020IU | Vitamin C: 98mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.