We’ve been trying to perfect our breadsticks approach for years. It’s sad to admit that. But something always went weird. Heck, they’re just breadsticks, I know! Well, no more. These Italian breadsticks are absolutely fantastic. We made them on our wood pizza oven, but you can make them just as easily and just as good in your oven. They’re light and fluffy, very tasty and perfect for dipping in warmed marinara sauce.
You can certainly go through the steps of making your own pizza dough when you make Italian breadsticks. We’ve discovered a frozen dough, Tiseo’s, at our local grocery store that is perfect for breadsticks. And pizza. You can’t beat the final product. It’s just great!
Also try my fried Mozzarella sticks.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and place in the fridge over night to thaw.
- One hour before you plan on making the breadsticks remove the dough from the fridge and place on your countertop to come to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Lightly flour a flat work surface, such as a countertop.
- Lightly oil your pizza pan. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Remove the dough from its packaging and, using your palms or a rolling pin, form into a round that is roughly the size of your pizza pan. Try to not overwork the dough. Transfer dough to the pan.
- In a small pan over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Brush over the dough. Remember, edge-to-edge is our pledge so get it all around!
- Cover the dough with the cheese, again getting it everywhere!
- Bake the dough for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and lightly crispy. If desired, turn the broiler on for 1 minute to further brown the top.
- Remove from oven. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into sticks.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.
Nutritional values are approximate.