Note: This recipe was developed using the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. If you are cooking using the Char-Broil Smoker-Roaster Grill you should cook with the lid open and the temperature set to High. You might also need to adjust the cooking time.
These mushrooms were stuffed with what may be the perfect combination of ingredients. Herby pesto. Sweet acidic tomatoes. Crunchy Panko breadcrumbs. And cheese. Parmesan and Asiago. I made the mushrooms on my Char-Broil Big Easy, but you can do them in the oven (at 350 F) or on your gas or charcoal grill just as easily. I used medium-sized Portobello mushrooms, but if you want to serve these as appetizers you can use mini-bellos instead. They’ll disappear off the plate, that’s for sure!
If you don’t have sun-dried tomatoes you can substitute diced roasted red bell peppers or pimentos. I really liked the nuttiness of Asiago cheese, but if you find it to be too strong, a nice shredded Mozzarella will work just fine instead.
Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms on the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 4 portobello mushrooms large or 8 medium mushrsooms, stem and gills removed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes with oil, chopped
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheese Mozzarella, Swiss, or my favorite for these mushrooms, Asiago
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Wipe the mushrooms off and brush both sides with the oil.
- Combine the pesto, Parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes and Panko in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pesto mixture between the mushrooms and top with the cheese.
- Place into the Big Easy basket and cook for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional values are approximate.