Oh, all those years spent eating (and enjoying!) onion rings made from white or sweet onions. Not wasted years, but years of missed opportunities of eating spicy red onion rings. Spiced up with a fantastic kick not only from hot sauce but from that red onion bite, these rings are the things dreams are made of. The batter is perfect. No batter loss here, the coating sticks perfectly and comes out crazy crunchy. These are what rings should be.
Although there’s certainly nothing wrong with ketchup on spicy red onion rings, I prefer something a bit more ‘deep’ so I made an easy dipping sauce of mayo and a few other ingredients I had on hand. The dipping sauce is also great for dipping fries, potato chips, carrot sticks, you name it. And it’s also fantastic on burgers!
If I’m cooking for a crowd, I’ll break out my big deep fryer. But, if it’s just the two of us, I’ll fire up my Fry Daddy fryer. It’s the perfect size for both of us. It fries everything perfectly. And as an added bonus, it doesn’t use a lot of oil, which saves me money.
This is yet another great recipe I found in Margaritaville: The Cookbook. It is absolutely full of great dishes!
Spicy Red Onion Rings
- Heat 2″ of oil to 350 F in a deep fryer or Dutch oven.
- Whisk the buttermilk and hot sauce together in a pie plate.
- In another pie plate, combine the flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Working in batches, dip rings in buttermilk, then flour. Repeat.
- Transfer to fryer in batches. Do not overcrowd. Fry for about 2 minutes, flip and fry another 2 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
For the dipping sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients.
Nutritional values are approximate.