Fresh corn season has now just come to an end here in Indiana. Sadly. I love fresh sweet corn. Sweet corn is what makes this tangy coleslaw something special. It definitely tastes as great as it looks. There’s all sort of great crunchy veggies, from onion to bell peppers, to cabbage to carrots. And then there’s the dressing, which is a combination of sweet and tangy.
I can’t say how much we enjoyed this slaw. It screams ‘fresh’! Oh, and if you don’t want to take the time to grill or roast the corn (or you can’t get fresh corn-on-the-cob), substitute canned (drained) corn kernels instead.
Also try my Mardis Gras slaw.
I love fresh sweet corn. Sweet corn is what makes this tangy coleslaw something special. It definitely tastes as great as it looks.
- 3 ears corn shucked
- 1 14 ounce coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded, minced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 limes juiced
- Kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Fire up your grill or oven broiler.
- Place the corn on the grill or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until nicely charred on all sides.
- Remove corn and let cool, then remove the kernels using a sharp knife.
- Place corn, slaw mix, cilantro, jalapeno, bell pepper and onion into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, and lime juice. Pour over slaw mixture and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 426IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.