Mmmmmm. Oh my goodness. Where have I been that I didn’t know that slathering cream cheese on a hot dog is just about the best thing ever? This simple approach to Seattle-style hot dogs is a fantastic way to jazz up your ‘usual’ hot dog.
I used pickled pepper rings, but you can substitute jalapenos instead for a little kick. To make your Seattle-style hot dogs look a bit out-of-the-ordinary, cut a ‘+’ sign pattern in the ends before tossing them onto the grill. The ends will separate and give the dogs a different look. You can also cut them into spirals and amaze everyone (plus they hold ingredients better!).
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Also try my pickle hot dogs!
Seattle-Style Hot Dogs
- 1 small sweet onion sliced thin
- olive oil
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- pepper rings
- Fire up your grill for direct cooking.
- Toss the onion with a little oil and salt and pepper. Place over direct heat and cook until softened. Remove.
- Grill hot dogs as desired.
- Warm buns as desired.
- Slather the buns with the cream cheese. Add the hot dogs and top with grilled onions and pepper rings.
Nutritional values are approximate.