Anita said that her mom would approve of these delicious slow cooker Sloppy Joes and that’s all I needed to know. That means they’re not only good, they’re great. I never got the opportunity to have her mom’s Sloppy Joes, but I know that her mom could cook like nobody’s business. The perfect thickness and the perfect beefiness, you’ll definitely want seconds.
This recipe for delicious slow cooker Sloppy Joes makes a good-sized batch, but it’ll disappear quickly. For a little kick add a few good pinches of red pepper flake or some big splashes of hot sauce.
I serve my delicious Sloppy Joes as simply as possible: on toasted hamburger buns, and always open-faced. When I was a little tyke, I would request that my mom get my hamburger buns extra toasty. I liked the contrast between the Sloppy Joe meat mixture and the super crunchy bread. I wasn’t a fan of Soggy Joes. That’s when the sauce has too much time to soak into the bread, getting it … ewww. I also prefer to serve my Sloppy Joes open-faced. You can get twice as much filling in that way. It’s not like I’m going to pick them up anyways!
Also try my Philly cheesesteak version.
Delicious Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 8 hamburger buns for serving
- Crumble the beef and sausage into a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute until almost browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Add the onion, stir and continue cooking until it just starts to soften.
- Drain and transfer to a lightly greased slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the buns.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. If the mixture gets too dry add a small amount of water and stir. Remember, though, that you do want it to be nice and thick,
- Serve on buns.
Nutritional values are approximate.