Oh man did these Pub Sauce smash burgers ever hit the spot. Juicy patties. Crisp fresh toppings. All with a wonderful sauce that is a combination of just about every good burger sauce you can think of. It’s reminiscent of a creamy steak sauce but it’s not too thick. It’s got a hint of sweetness. A bit saltiness. A little Asian-inspired flavor. And my favorite, garlic. Every bite is an unami-festival. These burgers are proof that even the simplest sauce can make a ‘plain’ burger something special. Sure, there are a few ingredients, but nothing fancy and nothing complicated.
Making Pub Sauce smash burgers isn’t difficult. You don’t need a bunch of fancy equipment or a lot of time. Just a hot griddle and a burger press. Any griddle will do, whether it’s on a grill, cooktop, stove or even a standalone outdoor flattop. Just get those patties nice and thin and use quality fresh toppings. And a great sauce.
Also try my smash burger patty melts.
Pub Sauce Smash Burgers
For the sauce
For the sauce
- Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the burgers
- Fire up your grill for direct medium-high heat cooking. You can also use an outdoor or indoor griddle or a large skillet on a stove.
- Season the burger patties with salt and pepper on both sides. Don’t be shy with the seasoning.
- Place the patties on grill. Smash down with a spatula or grill press.
- Grill the burgers for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Top the patties with cheese and grill until they’ve reached your desired doneness and the cheese is melted. Remove from the grill.
- Toast the buns as desired.
- Make the burgers by first spreading some of the sauce on the bun bottoms.
- Add a burger patty.
- Add onion, lettuce, tomato and pickle slices.
- Slather the top bun with more of the sauce and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.