This smoked provolone sauce adds great flavor (and texture) to any recipe you need a cheese sauce. I love it over pulled pork since it has a nice smokey flavor, but not so overbearing that you can’t taste the meat. I made a big batch and squirted it over pulled pork tater tot nachos (below) and stromboli, but you’ll also love it over grilled burgers or chicken sandwiches, or the best, Italian sausage sandwiches.
This sauce would also be great as a dip (maybe add some green chiles or Rotel) or over “regular” tortilla nachos, or over an omelet. Heck it’s just great. Make it!
Smoked Provolone Cheese Sauce
This smoked provolone sauce adds great flavor (and texture) to any recipe you need a cheese sauce.
Servings 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces provolone cheese torn
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and continue whisking for 2-3 minutes until the flour is cooked.
- While still whisking, slowly pour in the milk.
- Add the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir often until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Keep warm until ready to use.
Calories: 671kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 31g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 1678mg | Potassium: 487mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1734IU | Calcium: 1132mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.