I needed a break from grilling burgers or hot dogs, so I threw together this really easy southwest grilled chicken French bread pizza. You can make the entire pizza on the grill, or just toss it in the oven. Pizzas like this one are a great way to use leftover chicken, too.
French bread pizzas like this one are also an excellent way to use up leftover vegetables. I had some sliced onion and green bell pepper on hand, so I threw them in. Fresh sliced jalapenos would also be great.
Also try my New Orleans French bread pizza.
Southwest Grilled Chicken French Bread Pizza
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless, skinless, split horizontally then cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium sweet onion sliced
- 1/2 medium bell pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 loaf French bread split horizontally
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used an Italian blend
- Toss the chicken, onion, pepper, chili powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined.
- If cooking on the grill, preheat grill to high and add chicken mixture. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender. (A grill basked will help keep you from losing any veggies between the grates.)
- If cooking indoors, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken mixture. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender.
- Place the bread on the grill over indirect heat for a few minutes until it starts to get crispy. If using the oven, place the bread under the broiler for a minute or two until crispy. Remove.
- Spread sauce over both cut sides of the bread.
- Add cooked chicken mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Place back on the grill over indirect heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
- Or, place on a baking sheet under the oven broiler until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
Nutritional values are approximate.