I fired up my smoker the other day. Since I was going to smoke a big chub of bologna, I figured I might as well throw a few bricks of SPAM on there too. I haven’t had SPAM in like 100 years, and I’ve heard that smoking it makes it even better, so I figured… why not? Well, believe me, smoked SPAM is awesome!
I tried this two ways. One I just scored the SPAM and sprinkled it with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom before putting it onto the smoker.
The other SPAM was scored in a checkerboard pattern. It expanded sort of like a Bloomin’ Onion. I then inserted some pineapple chunks and onto the smoker it went! Yum!
I like to get my smoker going using my homemade fire starter cubes.
Smoked SPAM Two Ways
- Heat your smoker to 225 F.
- Score one block of SPAM from side-to-side, about halfway through. Sprinkle with rub.
- Score the other block in a checkerboard pattern. Sprinkle with rub.
- Smoke for 2 hours. Insert pineapple chunks into SPAM with the checkerboard pattern.
- Smoke another hour.
- Slice the SPAM without the pineapple and serve on sandwiches. (You can also brown them a bit in a skillet or on the grill first).
- Serve the SPAM with pineapple as an appetizer with crackers.
Nutritional values are approximate.