My wife flat-out loved these spicy broccoli cheese wonton cups. I have to admit, they are definitely a non-boring way to serve vegetables. It always seems like you have to do more and more every day to keep from serving boring sides! Well, a nice kick from habanero Jack cheese and fried jalapenos really makes up for what would’ve been ‘just’ broccoli. Oh, and love that crunch from the wonton cups, too. You need that difference. These cups are quite tasty and well, kinda cool looking too! Heck, I think you could serve them as appetizers!
If you don’t like spicier foods like we do, substitute shredded mozzarella or provolone for the habanero Jack cheese and French fried onions for the crispy jalapenos. Spicy broccoli cheese wonton cups are great without the spicy. I think blanched carrots or cauliflower would work just fine. Or heck, use them all and make mixed vegetable cups.
I highly recommend that you shred or grate your own cheese at home. Don’t buy the pre-shredded cheese. It has stuff added to it to keep it from sticking together. That ‘stuff’ affects how the cheese melts. Shred it yourself and use the good stuff.
Also try my jalapeno popper wonton cups.
Spicy Broccoli Cheese Wonton Cups
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Prepare an ice bath by filing a large bowl halfway with ice then add water. Note: You can skip the ice bath and rinse the cooked broccoli under cold water, but I find that you lose some of the broccoli doing it that way, so I prefer to use an ice bath.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and boil for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and place into the ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Chop the cooked broccoli and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the cheese, jalapenos, egg and salt and pepper and stir gently to combine.
- Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Press 2 wonton wrappers into each pan cup. I like to add one wrapper then place another on top, rotated 45 degrees from the bottom one to better fill the cup.
- Divide the broccoli mixture between the cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritional values are approximate.