Anita flat-out loved these spicy broccoli cheese wonton cups. I have to admit, they are definitely a non-boring way to serve vegetables. A nice kick from habanero Jack cheese and fried jalapenos really makes up for what would’ve been ‘just’ broccoli. Oh, and love that crunch from the wonton cups, too. You need that contrast.
If you don’t like spicier foods like we do, substitute shredded mozzarella or provolone for the habanero Jack cheese and French fried onions for the crispy jalapenos. You could also make these wonton cups with something other than broccoli. I think blanched carrots or cauliflower would work just fine. Or heck, use them all and make mixed vegetable cups.
Spicy Broccoli Cheese Wonton Cups
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup habanero Jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup French’s crispy jalapenos chopped
- 1 egg beaten lightly
- Kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Prepare an ice bath by filing a large bowl halfway with ice then add water. Note: You can skip the ice bath and rinse the cooked broccoli under cold water, but I find that you lose some of the broccoli doing it that way, so I prefer to use an ice bath.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and boil for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and place into the ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Chop the cooked broccoli and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the cheese, jalapenos, egg and salt and pepper and stir gently to combine.
- Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Press 2 wonton wrappers into each pan cup. I like to add one wrapper then place another on top, rotated 45 degrees from the bottom one to better fill the cup.
- Divide the broccoli mixture between the cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritional values are approximate.