Wow. Talk about the perfect bowl of soup for a cold day. This spicy tomato soup is just fantastic. Super tomato flavor, with a hint of basil, and a really, really nice spicy kick. Perfect by itself and beyond perfect when paired with a simple grilled cheese sandwich.
I used a few cans of San Marzano tomatoes to make this spicy tomato soup, which I’ve heard about before as being great tomatoes. Apparently they are a favorite of many a pizza joint for making top-notch sauce. Well, they truly are great tomatoes. They aren’t cheap, but now I understand why. You can use ‘regular’ canned tomatoes and you’ll still be very, very pleased with this soup. But if you can find San Marzano tomatoes, I definitely recommend them.
Spicy Tomato Soup
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add the onion and pepper flakes and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices along with the water.
- Stir and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively, use a stick blender to blend the soup.
- Pour blended soup through a sieve to remove any solids. Push liquid through as best you can, but remove any large chunks in the liquid.
- Return liquid to the saucepan and warm through.
- Serve garnished with Crème fraîche if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.