You’re at this post for a reason. Maybe, like me, you actually like Steak-Umms. Like many, I was first exposed to them in a school lunch cafeteria years and years ago. And like many kids of the time, I would go home and beg mom to get them so I could have a steak sandwich there too. Mom wasn’t too keen on them, but would buy them for me as a rare treat. I’d have them about as simple as you could get: fried the Steak-Ummm, put it on a bun or white bread with ketchup, eat. Well, now I step things up with my quick fix steak sandwich, made using the Cuisinart Griddler.
The Griddler makes making a steak sandwich about as easy as you can get. Having the two big cooking griddles lets you cook several things at once. Without it, I’d end up with a skillet for the Steak-Umms, another for the onions and peppers, and I’d probably fire up the oven or toaster just to toast my sub roll. Sheesh, that’s a lot of stuff when I can do it all on my Griddler.
The history of the Steak-Umm is actually rather interesting. You can read about it here.
You can also make outstandingly good smash burgers on the Griddler.
Quick Fix Steak Sandwich using the Cuisinart Griddler
- Open your Griddler so that the griddle plates are open flat. You want to use the smooth griddles.
- Turn the Griddler Selector knob (the center one) to 'griddle'. Set the temperature know to 425 F, the maximum.
- Once the green light is lit, indicating that the Griddler is at 425 F, you can being cooking.
- Place the bell peppers and onion in a small bowl. Drizzle with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir and transfer to one side of one of the griddle plates. See my picture for how I arrange things on the Griddler.
- On the other plate place the bread halves. Let them toast as long as desired as the rest of the ingredients cook.
- Let the onion and peppers cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the mushrooms to the onion and peppers. Stir and cook another 5 minutes. The vegetables should be just starting to turn tender.
- Place the Steak-umm on the griddle plate alongside the vegetables. Season as desired.
- Continue cooking the Steak-umm until it starts to brown along the edges. Flip and continue cooking until done.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing the Steak-umm on the bottom bread half. Add the cooked vegetables. Drizzle on the cheese, add the bread top.
- Serve with plenty of napkins. You want that cheese to be nice and runny!
Nutritional values are approximate.