I’m always on the lookout for something new and different to grill. One of my favorite blogs, Nibble Me This, is a great place to go for inspiration or new ideas, like these completely awesome grilled Fritos stuffed with a ground beef mixture and topped with cheese and a Southwestern sauce.
The biggest challenge to making grilled stuffed Fritos is finding enough pretty Fritos. The best way is to pour the bag out onto a few baking sheets and start searching! If you have a Char-Broil Big Easy you can also make these stuffed Fritos on it.
Also try my not-grilled-but-could-be cheese-dip stuffed Tostitos scoops.
Grilled Stuffed Fritos
- 2 large bags Fritos Scoops
- 1 pound very lean ground beef I used 96% ground sirloin
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco seasoning or 1 packet store-bought
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce I used La Victoria mild
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro diced
- 1/4 cup Southwestern sauce
- Setup your grill for indirect cooking at 350 F.
- Mix all ingredients except the Southwestern sauce in a large bowl.
- Find 48 or so (you might need a few more) perfect Frito Scoop chips. You want ones with a nice scoop that will stand up without rolling over.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon (more or less, depending on the size of the chips) of the meat mixture into each chip.
- Grill chips about 20 minutes or until the meat hits 165 F with an instant-read thermometer.
- Serve drizzled with the Southwestern sauce.