I’m pretty selective when it comes to which food-related shows I’ll watch on TV. I prefer the ones where the host isn’t over-the-top and the focus is on the food. Ree Drummond’s The Pioneer Woman is just one of the shows that I do watch. I often end up making versions of the recipes Ree presents, and they have always came out fantastic.This Cajun chicken pasta from Ree has a nice spicy kick, just like I like it. I’m going to make this again, but substitute blackened chicken instead.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 pound dried fettuccine pasta
- 3 teaspoons Cajun spice divided
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes seeded, diced (a small can of diced tomatoes can be substituted)
- 2 cups 1 small can chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Pinch or more cayenne pepper
- Pinch or more freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Drain.
- Place the chicken into a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Cajun spice mix and toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet or pot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Once hot, add the chicken. Without stirring, let brown slightly on one side. Toss and brown the other side. Remove to a plate or large bowl.
- Add the remaining butter and oil and heat.
- Add peppers and onions and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and remaining Cajun spice mixture. Stir and cook another minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 1 more minute. Remove all vegetables to a plate or bowl (you can use the same one you used for the chicken).
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, and cook over high heat, stirring for 5 minutes to reduce.
- Reduce heat to medium low and slowly stir in the cream.
- Add in the cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt, to taste. Don't be shy with the cayenne, you want the sauce to have some kick!
- Let cook, simmering, for 5 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back to the pan. Stir.
- Finally, stir in the pasta, mix well, and heat through.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.