I thought this Cajun stuffed chicken breast came out absolutely fantastic. Pounding the chicken out to a nice consistent thickness was a bit challenging, but I’m sure with more practice I’ll have it down pat. The filling is super-simple, just a few diced and sliced vegetables and a bit of cheese. The stuffed chicken is seasoned with Cajun seasoning, browned quickly on the stovetop, then transferred to the oven to finish cooking. Done and yum!
I prefer to use my own Cajun seasoning in this and other recipes. I grind it myself so I get the consistency that I want. For this dish I ground the seasoning very fine.
Cajun Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 large chicken breasts boneless and skinless, sliced in half horizontally then pounded out to 1/4″ thickness
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese shredded, divided
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 sweet onion diced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning or more, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Divide half of the cheese between the chicken breasts, placing in the middle as you would prepare a burrito.
- Divide mushrooms, peppers and onions between the breasts in the same fashion.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Roll chicken up and secure with toothpicks. Try to push the toothpicks in far enough that they barely stick out.
- Season outsides of rolled up chicken with the Cajun seasoning.
- Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides in the skillet. Remove to the baking dish, seam side up.
- Top each breast with a tablespoon of the butter then transfer baking dish to the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Remove toothpicks, slice and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.