Whenever I go out for a gourmet dog at DJ’s Hot Dog Company, I always grab the Chicago Dog. I love the crunchy vegetables, celery salt, and of course, the neon pickle relish. Now, thanks to Russell van Kraayenburg’s new book, Haute Dogs, I am able to make an equally fantastic version of this classic hot dog (and many others) at home. If you’re into hot dogs like I am, you’ll enjoy the many recipes in the book.
Make sure you make more than one of these Chicago dogs because you can’t just eat one.
Also try my trailer park dog.
The Chicago Dog
- 2 large all-beef hot dogs
- 2 hot dog buns
- Pickle relish
- Neon green food coloring
- Onion chopped
- Prepared yellow mustard
- Tomato cut into wedges
- Whole peppers
- Dill pickle spears
- Celery salt
- Cook dogs and warm buns as desired.
- To make the neon relish, put a few drops of food coloring into the relish and stir.
- Place dogs in buns and top with relish, onion, and mustard.
- Add tomato, peppers and pickle.
- Sprinkle liberally with celery salt and serve.