This is my take on Banh Mi hot dogs. It’s simple and straightforward. Nothing fancy. There’s a great contrast between the vinegary carrots, the cold crunchy cucumbers, creamy mayo, and of course the raw heat from the jalapenos. The carrot and cucumber mix is really what makes these dogs so great. It is also great on sandwiches or even hamburgers.
For a little extra kick, mix in some Sriracha with the mayo. Mmmmm good! Or if heat isn’t your thing, leave off the jalapenos and still enjoy some great Banh Mi hot dogs. Also check if your local grocery store carries Japanese mayonnaise. It’s a bit thicker and not as sweet as your typical mayo.
Also try my Big Kahuna dogs!
Banh Mi Hot Dogs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 hot dogs grilled or cooked however you prefer
- 4 hot dog buns
- Mayonnaise with some Sriracha mixed in if you prefer
- 1 small cucumber sliced thin
- 1 large jalapeno sliced
- A small handful of cilantro leaves
- Stir together the vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the shredded carrots and the salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place hot dogs in buns.
- Top with mayonnaise, a few slices of cucumber, jalapeno and cilantro.