This is my take on a great recipe for skillet cornbread pizza from Martha White. Sure, it’s not really a pizza, but it has the flavors of one. It’s a really fun twist on the ‘usual’ pizza. You can add pretty much the same ingredients you’d find on any pizza. Since there’s no sauce on top, just serve the slices with a little (warmed) pizza sauce on the side for dipping.
You get a good little crunch off the cornbread if you let it get good and browned (not burned!) on the sides and bottom. Skillet cornbread pizza is a really tasty alternative to boring frozen pizza night!
Also try my pizza skillet bake.
Skillet Cornbread Pizza
This is my take on a great recipe for skillet cornbread pizza from Martha White. Sure, it’s not really a pizza, but it has the flavors of one.
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 6 ounce cornbread Mix
- ½ tablespoon Creole seasoning optional
- 1 cup green bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6-8 ounces pepperoni chopped
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pizza sauce warmed (use an 8 ounce can of pre-made or use our Creole meatball sauce)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Beat the egg in large bowl.
- Add the milk, oil, cornbread mix, and Creole seasoning and stir until smooth, like a pancake batter.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the sauce.
- Pour mixture into a 8-9″ cast iron skillet and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until the cornbread is done and is golden brown.
- Serve with warm sauce for dipping or drizzle the sauce over top.
Calories: 486kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 126mg | Sodium: 1487mg | Potassium: 547mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1097IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 381mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutritional values are approximate.