This pizza skillet bake is a great dish for a quick dinner, best made in a cast iron skillet. It tastes just like a pizza, and just like a pizza, it’s open to changes. Add some chopped pepperoni if you like. Or some fresh mozzarella. Yummy! Since the ‘crust’ is on top you don’t have to worry about your toppings keeping it from baking. It’s as easy as can be!
The biscuits on top of the pizza skillet bake fluff up all soft and creamy, just like a thick-crust pizza! This is a really fun twist on a traditional deep-dish pizza.
Also try my skillet cornbread pizza. All the flavors of pizza in soft delicious cornbread.
Pizza Skillet Bake
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 15 ounce diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
- 1 10 ounce biscuits
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese mix
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Crumble sausage into a large (10″) cast iron skillet and cook until just about done.
- Add the onion, pepper and mushrooms and cook until they start to soften.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the flour.
- Stir in the tomatoes (do not drain).
- Cut biscuits into fourths and arrange on top of skillet.
- Sprinkle tops of biscuits with cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until the biscuits are crispy. You can put the skillet under the broiler for a minute to further brown the biscuits and cheese.
Nutritional values are approximate.