I love blackened chicken or fish. For years, I bought those pre-made blackening seasoning mixes. Now, I just make a batch of this version from Chef Paul Prudhomme. This is mighty spicy (to some). I think that’s a very good thing, but if you’re not really after the heat, back off on the cayenne. Just add it in in small quantity, tasting as you go. I wouldn’t leave it out entirely as it is an integral part of the great flavor this mix lends to any meat.
Also try my homemade Cajun seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container.
- This recipe makes enough to blacken four chicken breasts or pieces of fish.
Nutritional values are approximate.