Sloppy, dripping, spicy good. That’s really all you need to know. The best dogs, like a grilled San Antonio hot dog, make a big mess. Same goes for sandwiches and burgers, come to think of it. The messier the better. Wonder why we all love Sloppy Joes? Because they’re sloppy! Same thing applies here! I love chili on a hot dog. And cheese sauce, well that’s a given. And jalapenos for a kick! This is the ultimate dog!
I used large all-beef dinner dogs to make this grilled San Antonio hot dog. Bigger dogs make for more flavor. And they cover the buns from end-to-end, side-to-side. My goodness, how I get sad when I see tiny wieners on a big ole bun. Your first four bites are nothing but bun! We aren’t having buns! We’re having hot dogs on buns! And while we’re on the subject of sadness, why is it so hard to find a package of hot dogs that matches the number of buns in a package? Can we get some coordination on that? 8 dogs? 8 buns!
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Also try my Buffalo hot dogs.
Grilled San Antonio Hot Dog
- 4 hot dogs slit (not split) lengthwise
- 4 hot dog buns
- ½ cup chili warmed
- ½ cup cheese sauce warmed
- 12 pickled jalapenos
- Grill the hot dogs as desired.
- Place dogs on buns and top with chili. Lots of chili.
- Spoon cheese sauce over dogs. Don’t be shy with it. These are going to be messy to eat. There’s no point in fighting it.
- Add pickled jalapenos to taste.
Nutritional values are approximate.