Sloppy, dripping, spicy good. That’s really all you need to know. The best dogs, like a grilled San Antonio hot dog, make a big mess. Same goes for sandwiches and burgers, come to think of it. The messier the better. I love chili on a hot dog. And cheese sauce, well that’s a given. And jalapenos for a kick! The ultimate dog!
I used large all-beef dinner dogs and split them lengthwise. The slit gives the yummy toppings a place to run into. I also like to spiral-cut my hot dogs. Why put a lot of toppings on your grilled San Antonio hot dog only to watch them slide off?
Grilled San Antonio Hot Dog
- 4 hot dogs slit (not split) lengthwise
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1/2 cup chili warmed
- 1/2 cup cheese sauce warmed
- 12 pickled jalapenos
- Grill the hot dogs as desired.
- Place dogs on buns and top with chili. Lots of chili.
- Spoon cheese sauce over dogs. Don’t be shy with it. These are going to be messy to eat. There’s no point in fighting it.
- Add pickled jalapenos to taste.
Nutritional values are approximate.