Perfect as appetizers or even a main dish, these sweet-and-sour meatball skewers pack a lot of flavor into every bite. They grill up quick and disappear even quicker. I used Captain Jim’s Molten Orange Ambrosia (sadly, no longer in business. You’ll want to use a tropical-flavored hot sauce with orange, pineapple or coconut for example) hot sauce to give these meatballs an extra kick, but no so much as to completely hide the sweetness of the peppers and the jam.
You can leave out the hot sauce if you are using a spicy BBQ sauce. But, if your BBQ sauce is on the sweet side, you’ll need some heat or this dish will be a bit on the sweet side.
These meatball skewers are also great slathered with my peach BBQ sauce.
Sweet-and-Sour Meatball Skewers
- 1 pound meatballs frozen fully cooked, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, cut into 1″ squares
- 1 green bell pepper seeded, cut into 1″ squares
- 1/2 cup apricot jam or peach
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- hot sauce to taste (use a nice tropical-flavored sauce)
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Thread meatballs and peppers onto skewers.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the jam, barbecue sauce and hot sauce to taste. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Brush glaze onto the meatballs and peppers, put onto the grill, and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the skewers over, glaze, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Glaze the skewers one last time and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.