Well, you know I like a little heat with everything. It doesn’t have to be overpowering, just some heat. I don’t do bland. These grilled cheesy hot dogs with spicy onions take no time at all and have just a little kick from the onions.
On occasion, our local grocery store has foot long hot dogs and buns. For some reason, I really love foot long dogs. There’s just something more fun about eating them (with the added bonus of being messy). It reminds me of when I was a kid, the food stand at the local baseball park served foot long chili dogs. The best thing ever on a hot summer day was a big ole dog and an ice cold Coke.
Also try my grilled Cincinnati hot dog.
Grilled Cheesy Hot Dogs with Spicy Onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions cut into 1/4" slices
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo sauce finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 hot dogs or 2 foot long hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons BBQ rub spicy, preferred
- 4 hot dog buns 2 foot long hot dog buns
- 4 slices American cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they are soft and golden, 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the brown sugar, chipotle chili, adobo sauce, and salt. Cook 2 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the hot dogs with the grill seasoning.
- Cook dogs and toast buns as desired.
- Place a piece of cheese inside each bun and top with a hot dog, followed by some of the onions.
Nutritional values are approximate.