This grilled new potato packet is the perfect side to make on the grill. Like any packet dish, you just toss a few ingredients onto a piece of thick foil, seal it, and toss it on the grill (I used my Weber) until done. The potatoes in this packet come out very tasty thanks to sun-dried tomato dressing.
I think any vinaigrette-like dressing would be just fine for a grilled new potato packet. I wouldn’t use a creamy dressing, though. The packets get mighty hot as the potatoes cook. You want something that’ll hold up to that heat, flavoring the potatoes as they go. You definitely wouldn’t want to use something that would separate or burn.
If you love these as much I do you’ll also want to try my grilled scalloped potatoes.
Grilled New Potato Packet
- 2 pounds red new potatoes use potatoes that are all about the same size, quartered or halved depending on size
- 2 pounds white new potatoes use potatoes that are all about the same size, quartered or halved depending on size
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sun dried tomato dressing
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- dried red pepper flake to taste (optional)
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- Heat your grill to medium heat. Or use high heat and set up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Tear off a large piece of foil.
- Place potatoes in the middle of the foil. Drizzle with the water and oil and add garlic if using.
- Seal potatoes, but leave a slight gap at the top (you can just leave the packet open or cut a slit in it with a knife).
- Place on grill and cook until the potatoes are tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Open packets (be careful of the steam that will escape) and add the remaining ingredients. Toss lightly before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.