Truth be told, I’d be happy at Thanksgiving or Christmas with just a big ole plate (or bowl… I’d prefer a bowl) of Cajun mashed potatoes topped with roasted turkey gravy, with a side of good ole fashioned dressing. Oh sure, I love (and make) a great turkey. And all the other dishes that make up a big holiday meal, but these potatoes… They are something special. Oh so buttery and creamy, with just a little kick to them… just enough to make them incredible.
These Cajun mashed potatoes are well worth the extra time you might have to spend at the gym after eating them.
Also try my Cajun-style smothered cabbage and Creole roasted potatoes.
Cajun Mashed Potatoes
Truth be told, I’d be happy at Thanksgiving or Christmas with just a big ole plate (or bowl… I’d prefer a bowl) of Cajun mashed potatoes topped with roasted turkey gravy, with a side of good ole fashioned dressing.
- 5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream can substitute whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- My outrageously good Holiday make-ahead gravy for serving
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes. I prefer to not skin or chop my potatoes first. Just throw (er.. lower gently) the entire potatoes into the pot. If you don’t like the skins, remove them first.
- Boil potatoes until fork tender (test the larger ones), 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain well.
- Return potatoes to the pot (off the heat) and mash with a potato masher (or use a hand-held blender).
- Add remaining ingredients and mash until well combined and smooth.
- Serve hot with warmed gravy. When reheating (if you have any leftovers), you may have to add a bit more cream (or milk) to get the right consistency.
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 119mg | Potassium: 830mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1055IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutritional values are approximate.