I have been a diehard fan of Chile Pepper magazine for years. Despite what the name might suggest to you, it’s not a magazine about over-the-top way-too-hot peppers and foods and sauces. Instead, it has a variety of recipes and articles, catering not only to chile heads, but also people that just want a little kick to their foods. Everything I have made from the magazine has turned out absolutely fantastic. They aren’t playing around. Grab yourself a copy off the news-stand or order a subscription online. Or do what I did and have a subscription for years. And years. And make some of their great recipes like this spicy sausage and sun-dried tomato penne rigate.
This sausage and pasta dish is creamy, with just a little heat, thanks to spicy sausage, red pepper flake and hot cheese. The original recipe used sliced chicken breast, but I went with chicken sausage for a little more spice. Any chicken would work in this dish, though.
The sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach add a great twist to what would be a great meal by itself. This doesn’t take long to make and will wow your guests with great flavors.
Also try my easy-to-make but still awesome spicy sausage and pasta.
Spicy Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Rigate
- 1 pound penne rigate
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 8.5 ounce sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups spinach fresh
- 1 pound chicken sausage spicy, sliced thin
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups Habanero Jack shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried red pepper flake
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated, for serving
- Cook pasta per package instructions. When done, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Drain and reserve the pasta.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes but save the oil. Chop or slice the tomatoes.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomato oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, and mushrooms and cook until they start to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. Cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil to the skillet. Add the sausage and cook until done and lightly browned. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the cream and shredded cheese. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat to simmer. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir.
- Add the red pepper flakes, cooked vegetables and sausage. Stir.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. If mixture is too thick add a bit more of the reserved pasta water and stir.
- Serve garnished with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional values are approximate.