The sloppier the sandwich, the better it is. I’ve made chorizo Sloppy Joes, Sloppy Cubans, and kicked-up regular ole Sloppy Joes. All were sloppy. All were fantastic. These slow cooker Gumbo Joes pack in fantastic bayou flavors with traditional Sloppy Joe ingredients such as ketchup, mustard, and onion. Thick and messy. It’s gonna drip and it’s gonna make a mess. It’s gonna be great.
This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover gumbo. I don’t usually have leftover gumbo, it seems to disappear very quickly around here. That’s why I had to use a few cans of gumbo instead.
Slow Cooker Gumbo Joes
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 10 3/4 ounce condensed chicken gumbo soup
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 10 hamburger sub or hoagie buns
- Ground the beef in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Drain and transfer to a slow cooker set to low.
- Add onion, soup, ketchup and mustard. Stir.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve on buns.
Nutritional values are approximate.