There’s a scene in the movie Chef where the star, Jon Favreau, makes a grilled cheese sandwich. It was the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. Perfectly toasted on both sides. And it crunched, oh how it crunched, when he sliced it. I have to admit, I’m still working on my grilled cheese toasting skills, but I sure do enjoy a great grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. These white pizza grilled cheese sandwiches have a great pizza-ish herby flavor to them, with ooey-gooey melted mozzarella and a little Parmesan to boot. Very good, and a little different.
I prefer to use Texas toast for my grilled sandwiches. It holds up and holds up well to just about anything you want to pile up on it. No one likes a grilled cheese that just dissolves once you get past the crust. Nope, you need a bread that will be there till the end, and for me that’s Texas toast. Oh, and I love to make smoked paprika and garlic croutons out of any leftover pieces of Texas toast I might have.
White Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 12 slices bread I used Texas Toast
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- Turn on your Griddler to the griddle setting and 350 F, or heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Mix the ricotta and oil together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Mix in the mozzarella cheese. The mixture will be thick. Don’t be afraid to use your hands to mix it well.
- Lightly butter each slice of bread on one side.
- Working in batches, place slices of bread butter-side down on the Griddler or into the skillet. Top with the cheese mixture, spreading out evenly.
- Add the top piece of bread butter-side up.
- Cook until the bottom bread is golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional values are approximate.